Opportunity to become an independent member of the
Hinkley Point C Community Fund Awards Panel
Location: Somerset Community Foundation, Bridgwater Arts Centre, Somerset TA6 3DD
Deadline for Applications: Friday 7 December, 2018
Suggested Commitment: minimum 3 years
This is an exciting opportunity to support Somerset Community Foundation (SCF) in the delivery of the Hinkley Point C Community Fund as one of three independent members of our Awards Panel. The Hinkley Point C Community Fund has been created with the aim of:
“mitigating the intangible and residual impacts of (Hinkley Point C) on the communities in (Somerset) through schemes, measures and projects which promote the economic, social or environmental well-being of those communities and enhance their quality of life”. 
With a budget in excess of £1 million a year, this fund has the potential to make a significant difference in communities most affected by the construction of Hinkley Point C. In the first year of its delivery, over £700,000 has already been committed to a range of local organisations supporting local communities.
You will work  alongside representatives from Somerset Community Foundation, EDF Energy, local authorities and two other independent representatives to make decisions on applications and help develop the strategy for the fund.
The fund is managed by SCF, an independent local charity (no 1094446) managing a range of funds that benefit communities throughout Somerset. The Awards Panel is a sub-committee of the SCF Board and an SCF trustee acts as the independent chair of the Awards Panel.
About the role
The Awards Panel will meet around five times a year. In addition, we have formed a sub-committee to the Awards Panel to make decisions on small grants which you may be invited to join.
Independent Awards Panel members will be expected to serve for at least one term of three years (but no more than two three-year terms). More information is available in the accompanying Awards Panel Members Terms of Reference.
You do not have to have experience of serving on a grants committee in the past; training and guidance will be provided by Somerset Community Foundation to enable you to apply your experience and knowledge to help us reach sound decisions.
However, you will need to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and personal characteristics:
- the ability to think and act strategically and independently;
- the ability to assess applications objectively and appraise organisations against agreed criteria and priorities;
- to work as a team player and accept the principle of collective responsibility;
- familiarity with Somerset, in particular the communities most likely to be affected by the Hinkley Point C development*;
- knowledge of issues affecting communities in Somerset, including, but not limited to, community cohesion, health and social care, education and skills development, and community well-being;
- commitment to achieving positive and lasting change in local communities;
- commitment to equal opportunities;
- clear and diplomatic communicator; and
- willing and able to commit to at least 3 years.
* We are particularly interested to hear from people with local knowledge of Bridgwater and the wider Sedgemoor area. We also welcome applications from minority groups, including but not limited to BAME communities, LGBTQ+ communities and people with disabilities.
Please do not apply if you feel you cannot act independently or you are likely to have a significant conflict of interest.
In order to apply to become an independent member of the Hinkley Point C Community Fund Awards Panel, please send us your CV and also a covering letter or email explaining why you wish to become an independent member of the Awards Panel and how you match the criteria.
If you wish to discuss the role informally before making an application, please contact Justin Sargent or Val Bishop on 01749 344949.
Please either email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Kirsty Campbell, Somerset Community Foundation, Yeoman House, Bath and West Showground, Shepton Mallet BA4 6QN, to arrive by 5pm, Friday 7 December, 2018. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
 Hinkley Point C Development Consent Order, Section 106
 Please note participation in the panel will be on a voluntary basis although reasonable out-of-pocket expenses of independent members will be reimbursed.