This page contains all the information you need to apply to this fund. At the bottom of the page is a link to an application form. All the information and the questions from the application form can also be downloaded as a .pdf here.
What are the criteria (or rules) for this fund?
You can only apply if you:
- are aged 18 to 30
- currently live in the county of Somerset (but not North Somerset or BANES)
- are not in education, employment or training
- want to start your own business and know what products or services you want to provide or have been trading for under 2 years.
If you meet the above criteria we would like to hear from you, regardless of your background or how well you did in education.
How much money can I get, what can I use it for, and what is the application process?
If you meet all the criteria above, then you can ask us for up to £1,000.
This money can be used to pay for the equipment, materials, stock and services you need in order to get your business running. You’ll need to tell us about your business in your application form, or you can attach a business plan that you’ve already written.
We may also invite you to a meeting (either online or in person) to tell us in more details about your business. If this is the case, we will email you to arrange a date and time.
If I'm successful, what will happen next?
You must apply by 5pm, Friday 19 November 2021, and we’ll let you know if we can give you a grant by the end of January 2022. If we can, then it will be paid directly to you by bank transfer.
You need to spend your grant within 1 year and send us a short report. We’ll tell you more about that if you are successful.
We will also ask you to attend a group session with other successful applicants to introduce ourselves and let you know about the other support we have available. You will also have a chance to talk about your business and share ideas.
How much is available?
We have up to £10,000 to give out this year. This money comes from a private donor who is working with Somerset Community Foundation who is also involved in the awards process.
How do I apply for money?
You can apply for money by clicking on the button below.
This opens an application form. You must complete the form in one go. It’s not possible to save your progress and return to the form at another time.
This .pdf includes all the questions you need to answer. You can download it, prepare your answers, and then copy and paste them into the online form.
At the end of the form, you have the option to attach documents. You can use this to attach proof of Universal Credit, for example. You can request proof of Universal Credit through your journal on your online account or by contacting the benefit office that pays you.
Finally, you must read the terms and conditions and click ‘submit’.
Please contact us if you are unable to use the online form, or can’t attach a document. We can support you to make your application in another way.
Sources of support
The following organisations may be able to help you with your application, developing your business idea and preparing a business plan:
- Inspired to Achieve provides impartial information, advice and guidance to empower people to fulfil their potential by supporting people into education, training and sustainable employment. They can help you to find training and support around setting up a business. For more information click HERE.
- Heart of the South West provides business support services in Somerset and Devon, and has information to help people start their own businesses. For more information click HERE.
- Money Advice Service provides advise and information on a wide range of topics. For more information click HERE.
What do you do with my application?
We’ll email you within one week to confirm we have received your application.
A member of our Grants Team will look at your application. If we have any questions, we’ll contact you.
Somerset Community Foundation and our donor will then decide who to invite to a meeting to discuss their application further, and then to whom we’ll award grants, taking into consideration:
- whether or not you meet the criteria for the fund (rules)
- the plan for your business
- how a grant would help you to start that business and/or make it more successful.
If you have any questions, then please get in touch with us. It's usually best to email us on firstname.lastname@example.org but you can also call on 01749 344949.