South West Youth Training and Employment Support Grants
This page contains all the information you need to apply to this fund. At the bottom of the page is a link to an application form. All the information and the questions from the application form can also be downloaded as a .pdf document here.
What are the criteria (or rules) for this fund?
You can only apply if you:
- are aged 16 to 30
- currently live in the county of Somerset (but not North Somerset or BANES)
- are not in education, employment or training
- need some help with the cost of essential things for training or employment, an apprenticeship or job.
If you meet the above criteria we would like to hear from you, regardless of your background or how well you did at school.
How much money can I get and what can I use it for?
If you meet all these criteria, then you can ask us for up to £500.
This money can be used to pay for the cost of a course, to buy a laptop, tools or clothing, pay for transport costs and so on. These costs must be linked to a recognised educational, employment or training opportunity that you want to start in the next few months. You’ll need to tell us about this opportunity in your application form.
If I’m successful, when will I get the money?
You must apply by 5pm, Wednesday 30 June 2021, and we'll let you know if we can give you a grant by the end of July 2021.
If we can, then it will be paid directly to you by a bank transfer.
You need to spend your grant within 1 year and send us a short report. We’ll tell you more about that if you are successful.
How much is available?
We have up to £10,000 to give out this year. This money comes from a private donor who is working with Somerset Community Foundation.
How do I apply for money?
You can apply for money by clicking on the button below.
This opens an application form. You must complete the form in one go. It’s not possible to save your progress and return to the form at another time.
You can download a .pdf which includes all the questions you need to answer here, prepare your answers, and then enter them into the form.
At the end of the form, you have the option to attach documents. You can use this to attach proof of Universal Credit, for example. You can request proof of Universal Credit through your journal on your online account or by contacting the benefit office that pays you.
Finally, you must read the terms and conditions and click ‘submit’.
Please contact us if you are unable to use the online form, or can’t attach a document. We can support you to make your application in another way.
Sources of support
The following organisations may be able to help you with information and support around finding training or employment:
- SomersetWorks offers independent advice to help young people aged 15-18 who are not in school, college, training or work. For more information click HERE.
- Somerset Skills and Learning offers courses to gain qualifications, traineeships and apprenticeships for people aged 18 and over. For more information click HERE.
- Inspired to Achieve provides impartial information, advice and guidance to empower people to fulfil their potential by supporting them into education, training and sustainable employment. For more information click HERE.
What do you do with my application?
We’ll email you within one week to confirm we have received your application.
A member of our Grants Team will look at your application. If we have any questions, we’ll contact you.
Somerset Community Foundation and our donor will then decide to whom we’ll award grants, taking into consideration:
- whether or not you meet the criteria for the fund (rules)
- what you would do with the money
- how this will help you in your career/personal progression.
If you have any questions, then please get in touch with us. It's usually best to email us on email@example.com but you can also call on 01749 344949.