This page contains all the information you need to apply to this fund. At the bottom of the page is a link to an application form. All the information and the questions from the application form can also be downloaded as a .pdf here.
What are the criteria (or rules) for this fund?
You can only apply if you:
- are aged 16 to 30
- currently live in the counties of Somerset, North Somerset or BANES
- entering or are currently in training (for example a college course) or an apprenticeship, or starting work after a period of unemployment
- need some help with the cost of essential things for training or employment, an apprenticeship or starting a new job.
If you meet the above criteria we would like to hear from you, regardless of your background or how well you did in education.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within 2 months of their application being submitted.
How much money can I get and what can I use it for?
If you meet all these criteria, then you can ask us for up to £500.
This money can be used to pay for the cost of a course, to buy a laptop, tools or clothing, pay for transport costs and so on. These costs must be linked to a recognised educational or training course (excludes higher education) or apprenticeship that you are currently in or want to start in the next couple of months. You can also apply for costs that help you to start a new job if you are currently unemployed. You’ll need to tell us what you need help with the cost of in your application form.
Please note we generally do not support applications for the cost of degree level study.
If I’m successful, when will I get the money?
If you are awarded a grant, it will be paid directly to you, or an organisation supporting you, by a bank transfer.
You need to spend your grant within 1 year and send us a short report. We’ll tell you more about that if you are successful.
How do I apply for money?
Click on the ‘apply here’ button below. This opens an application form and a link will be sent to you by email so you can save and return to the form.
This .pdf includes all the questions you need to answer. You can download it, prepare your answers, and then copy and paste your answers into the form.
At the end of the form, you have the option to attach documents. You can use this to attach proof of Universal Credit, for example. You can request proof of Universal Credit through your journal on your online account or by contacting the benefit office that pays you.
We may ask for further information or evidence to confirm the information within your application, or the contact details of a referee. A referee is a person who can tell us about your character or abilities and can confirm your circumstances. This might be a tutor, or someone who you have worked for. If we would like you to provide further information, evidence or a referee we will ask you.
Finally, you must read the terms and conditions and click ‘submit’.
Please contact us if you are unable to use the online form, can’t attach a document or can’t download the Reference Form. We can support you to make your application in another way.
Sources of support
The following organisations may be able to help you with information and support around finding training or employment:
- Skill Up Somerset is an Apprenticeship and Skills Advisory Service, offering free, impartial advice and guidance. They support both businesses and individuals with their Apprenticeship and Skills journey. Perhaps you want to improve your current skills, or even learn new ones, or be introduced to local training provision they can help you. You can find out more information on their website here. Contact them at Hello@skillupsomerset.org.uk
- SomersetWorks offers independent advice to help young people aged 15-18 who are not in school, college, training or work. For more information click here.
- Somerset Skills and Learning offers courses to gain qualifications, traineeships and apprenticeships for people aged 18 and over. For more information click here.
What do you do with my application?
A member of our Programmes Team will look at your application. If we have any questions, we’ll contact you.
Somerset Community Foundation and the South West Enterprise Fund (SWEF) will then decide we’ll award grants to, taking into consideration:
- whether or not you meet the criteria for the fund (rules)
- what you would do with the money
- how this will help you in your career/personal progression.
We’ll let you know the outcome of your application within 2 months of your application being submitted.
If you have any questions, then please get in touch with Kirsty Campbell. It’s usually best to email Kirsty on firstname.lastname@example.org but you can also call on 01749 344949.