Open for applications from Monday 4 January to Monday 1 March 2021
Mary Dyer (1983-2017) was born with severe disabilities and needed others to assist her in every aspect of her life. However, Mary lived a rich and rewarding life. Her great love was music; some of her happiest times were spent listening to live music at concerts and music therapy sessions. Mary also enjoyed being outdoors, camping, walking in her adapted wheelchair and cycline in her 'Duet' wheelchair bike.
In honour of her life, a fund in Mary’s name has been established to support people with physical and/or learning disabilities to access the music therapy and experience outdoor adventures that gave Mary so much pleasure.Small grants
Grants of up to £1,000 are available to allow the applicant to participate in an activity which, without the grant, would not have been available to them. Eligible activities include music therapy, one-off concerts and outdoor activities that will build self confidence, encourage participation and inspire hope for the future.Can I apply?
You must be:
- a resident of Somerset or Devon
- able to provide the contact details of a referee (usually a teacher, social worker, youth leader, local councillor or employer who can support your application).
Here are some examples:
- Costs of attending a sporting event, a concert or an outdoor activity
- Sessions of music, art, hydro or rebound and other sensory therapies
- Horse riding
- A financial contribution towards a piece of equipment to enable you to take part in a music event or an outdoor activity, eg a seating system or a switch or a support to sit in a boat
- Extra transport costs
- Extra costs for another carer to provide support at an event
- A financial contribution towards an activity holiday
- Financial support to cover costs to attend a special family or social gathering.
We also welcome any other ideas that will make it possible to meet your specific needs to take part in an outside or musical activity.How to apply
If you meet the criteria above then you can apply by completing the application form.
Once you have completed the form, please send a hard copy to the address below by the closing date of 1 March 2021:
Somerset Community Foundation,
The Royal Bath & West Showground,
If you would like to find out more about your eligibility to apply, or for further advice, please contact Kirsty Campbell (Kirsty.email@example.com) at the Somerset Community Foundation on 01749 344949.