SCF holds its first grant panel with the Unstoppables
With the success of our Growing Futures Match Funding Challenge, as reported in last month’s blog, Somerset Community Foundation was able to convene its first panel with the Unstoppables, a group of young people with special educational needs and disabilities.
This approach to grantmaking – putting decisions into the hands of those who stand to benefit from our funding – was eye opening for everyone involved. Our grants team, working in partnership with Somerset County Council’s Engagement & Participation Team, developed accessible ‘easy read’ materials and a supported decision making process that allowed the group to discuss, listen and challenge the applicants before building their consensus.
The result was eight grants, listed below:
- Horseshoes and Handprints £1,820 (Horse therapy sessions for disabled children)
- Ups and Downs £3,000 (New baby home visiting service)
- Somerset Parent-Carer Forum £3,000 (Training for parents of children with disabilities)
- Growing Space £2,000 (Gardening sessions for children with disabilities)
- Bridgwater Snap Group £1,500 (Holiday abroad for families with a disabled child)
- Children's World £2,500 (Core costs)
- Somerset Rural Youth Project £3,000 (Support for young people with additional needs to participate in the National Citizen Service)
- Mendip YMCA £2,200 (Extra youth worker for youth clubs)
We will continue to work with the Unstoppables to monitor the grants that they have made and share our approach to participatory grantmaking with other funders.