Lottery funds available for community groups in Somerset West and Taunton
Grants of up to £1,000 are available for local charities, voluntary or community groups, sports clubs, or social enterprises based within Somerset West and Taunton and the deadline to apply is Friday 20 March.
The Local Community Fund, administered by Somerset Community Foundation on behalf of Somerset West and Taunton Council, was set up in 2017 to support community projects in the local area by distributing money from the Somerset West Lottery. The Lottery raises money within the community for the community, enabling people to support the causes they care most about, while also helping good causes to connect with their supporters.
A ticket for the Somerset West Lottery costs £1 per week, 60p of which goes directly to good causes - more than double what the National Lottery gives. Players can choose to support a named local good cause, or they can decide to award their contribution to the Local Community Fund. Grants are awarded from the fund by a panel of District Councillors.
The Local Community Fund awarded 14 grants, totalling £12,000 to community groups and sports clubs across Somerset West and Taunton over the last year. The groups to receive grants were:
- 1st Wellington Scouts - £1000 towards new energy efficient lighting for their hall
- Blackbrook Friendship Club – £500 for outings for isolated older people
- Carry Me Kate - £1000 for parenting advice sessions
- Kingston St Mary Youth Group - £1000 towards the ongoing costs of a youth club
- Minehead Eye - £1000 for family activity sessions
- North Taunton Partnership - £850 towards the ongoing costs of Priorswood Community Centre
- Positive Aims - £1000 for community activities for adults with learning disabilities
- Reminiscence Learning - £1000 to provide support for family carers of people with dementia.
- Somerset Wyverns American Football Club - £1000 for coaching qualifications
- St Petrock’s Timberscombe - £1000 towards an accessible toilet and servery
- Taunton Welcomes Refugees - £300 for arts and crafts materials for children of recently arrived Syrian families
- Bluebirds Theatre Company - £1000 towards pop up opera performances
- The West Somerset Intercultural Friendship Group - £500 for a community event in Watchet
- West Buckland Friendship Club - £850 for activities for isolated older people
Groups wishing to apply for funding should click here or call us for more information.