Somerset Skills Bank is an exciting new initiative that aims to encourage local businesses to donate funds, time and skills to local charities. Working in partnership with Spark Somerset and Engage, we are offering local businesses unique opportunities to increase employee engagement, access free leadership development opportunities and make a difference in their communities. We are also keen to recruit individual volunteers with business expertise.
Research from Volunteering Matters shows that 85% of employees who volunteer feel more positive about their employer overall, and studies show that volunteering can deliver many benefits including improved physical and mental health.
There are three main ways you can volunteer through Somerset Skills Bank:
- Expert Skills Workshops: deliver a short workshop on a specialist subject, such as digital marketing, audit, health and safety, or strategy development. We're ideally looking for volunteers who are also able to provide a venue such as a meeting room.
- Specialist mentoring: we want to build a community of skilled volunteers who could give their time on an ad hoc basis or over a short period of time to mentor charities through specific projects or issues. This may range from how to improve their finance systems to how to create a new website or navigate an aspect of charity law.
- Become a charity Trustee: many local charities face huge struggles recruiting Trustees – particularly those specialist skills such as Law, HR, Marketing and Finance. We are keen to hear from individuals who may be able to commit to becoming a Trustee, bringing new skills into the voluntary sector and giving existing and aspiring leaders an opportunity give back to the local community and gain new insights and experience.
Volunteers will need to complete a short sign-up questionnaire about their skills, experience, interests and availability (see below for links to the form). This information will be shared with our partners, Spark and Engage, to support the matching process before you are contacted with any appropriate volunteering opportunities.
Sign up to become a volunteer
- If you would like to register your organisation for volunteering opportunities, please fill in this form.
- If you are an individual and would like to register your interest as a volunteer please fill in this form.
- If you are an organisation and would like to be matched with, and receive support from, a volunteer please fill in this form.
Please note that priority will be given to companies who are existing supporters of Somerset Community Foundation, including The Somerset Fund.