Somerset Skills Bank is an exciting new initiative that aims to encourage volunteers from local businesses to donate their time and skills to support local charities. If you'd like to give back and develop new skills and experience, we're here to help.
Research from Volunteering Matters shows that 85% of employees who volunteer feel more positive about their employer overall, and studies show that volunteering can deliver many benefits including improved physical and mental health.
There are three main ways you can volunteer through Somerset Skills Bank:
- Expert Skills Workshops: deliver a short workshop on a specialist subject, such as digital marketing, health and safety, or strategy development. We're ideally looking for volunteers who are also able to provide a venue such as a meeting room.
- Specialist mentoring: give your time on an ad hoc basis or over a short period of time to mentor charities through specific projects or issues. This may range from how to improve their finance systems to how to create a new website or navigate an aspect of charity law.
- Become a charity Trustee: many local charities face huge struggles recruiting Trustees – particularly those specialist skills such as Law, HR, Marketing and Finance. Being a Trustee is a great opportunity for experienced or aspiring leaders to give back to the local community and gain new insights and experience.
- If you are an individual and would like to register your interest as a volunteer please fill in this form.
- If you represent a business, and would like to access volunteering opportunities for your employees please fill in this form.
- If you are an local charity or community group and would like to be matched with, and receive support from, a volunteer please fill in this form.