Unrestricted grants up to £1,500 for grassroots community groups across Somerset. Next deadline: 22 February 2019
The Somerset Fund has been created to offer a simpler and more effective way for businesses to give locally.
This is the first grants round for the Somerset Fund. For this round, we want to fund small groups that run on less than £50,000 per year. The grants will be ‘unrestricted’, which means you can use them to pay for your ongoing running costs.
The Somerset Fund is supported by Somerset County Council.
Who can apply?
You do not have to be a registered charity to apply, but the work you ask us to support must be legally charitable. You must have a:
- bank account in the name of your group
- governing document
- management committee / board of local people
We also require groups that work with children or vulnerable adults to have a safeguarding policy.
We will ask you for a copy of a recent bank statement, your most recent accounts, a copy of your governing document, the names of the people on your committee, and your safeguarding policy (if appropriate) as part of your application. You may like to get these documents ready before starting. New applicants will also be asked to supply a referee.
Who can’t apply?
We cannot normally support the following:
- Sponsorship and fundraising events
- Animal welfare
- Groups that have more than 12 months running costs in unrestricted reserves
- Promotion of religion (including repairs to buildings used solely for worship)
- Activities that are a statutory duty or are not charitable
- Activities that have already taken place
- Projects where funds are distributed to a third party
- Projects that take place outside Somerset, unless they benefit Somerset residents
How much is available?
In this round, grants of up to £1,500 are available.
How long are grants for?
We expect you to spend your grant within 12 months of the award date. We’ll ask you to submit a short report back to us within six weeks of the end of your grant. Reminders and a report form will be emailed to you.
What do we want to fund?
We’re keen to support a wide range of groups from across Somerset. We are particularly interested in:
- Giving the best start in life to the most disadvantaged children
- Growing the life skills of young people
- Improving the mental health of people of all ages
- Increasing opportunities for better physical health
- Supporting people with disabilities and life-limiting illnesses, and their carers
- Combatting loneliness and isolation
How do I make an application?
Applications for a grant can be submitted from 7 January to 22 February 2019.