Apply for money to help your charity or community group improve the local environment.
This is a quick way to apply for up to £1,500.
You can apply for money from here if:
- you work or volunteer for a charity or community group based in Somerset
- your charity or community group usually has an annual income under £500,000
How long does it take to get the money?
You must apply by 12 noon, Friday 4 June 2021.
We'll let you know if we can help you by the end of July 2021.
You must spend the money within one year and write a short report for us once you've finished. We’ll send you an email about this nearer the time.
How much money do we have to give out?
We have about £16,000 to give out.
This comes from The Wessex Water Foundation. The Foundation was launched in June 2020 and is a dedicated funding scheme for community projects across the region it covers. It is run in partnership with the Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset and Quartet Community Foundations.
What sort of things do we want to give money for?
The Wessex Water Environment Fund supports charitable and community activities which improve the local environment and have a positive impact on the quality of life for residents.
Applications must demonstrate one of more of the following outcomes:
- Involves communities in environmental activities that benefit the local area
- Has a positive impact on the local environment
- Shares learning about the local environment with others
Environmental priorities for this fund are:
- conservation of water use
- reduction of single use plastic
- reducing waste
- improvements in local biodiversity
Wessex Water Environment Fund Grants are targeted at organisations where a small amount of money can make a significant difference.
You can apply for a grant towards core costs and project costs that will equip your project. For example, you could apply for a grant for
- Overhead costs
We want to make this Fund as accessible as possible. We would encourage applicants to share with us how they will understand if it has made a difference in ways that are meaningful to them. This could be in terms such as:
- if there have been reductions in litter
- if there are signs of new wildlife
- new plant growth
- increased number of engaged volunteers.
Who can apply for money?
The Fund is for voluntary and community groups with charitable aims, registered charities, and community interest companies with an annual income of less than £500,000. Schools and parish councils may also apply as long as they can demonstrate community benefit.
Funding is limited to local organisations in the Wessex Water area. Applicants must be based and working in Somerset (groups based in BANES and North Somerset should apply to Quartet Community Foundation).
Who can’t apply for money?
We cannot support:
- Applications from individuals
- National organisations (independent branches can apply)
- General appeals
- Activities which are a statutory responsibility
- Political groups, campaigning and or activities promoting religious beliefs
- Animal welfare
- Arts or sports projects with no significant community or charitable element.
- One off events with no significant community or charitable element.
- Medical research, equipment or treatment
- Projects that take place before a grant can be awarded
- Activities that raise funds for other organisations
We would not normally fund if an applicant organisation is holding more than 12 months of its annual expenditure in unrestricted reserves. If the applicant’s organisation is holding significant reserves the applicant will need to make clear why these reserves cannot be used to cover the cost of the activity.
If your group is a community interest company please refer to the CIC criteria on our website. CICs limited by shares are not eligible.
You also cannot apply to the Wessex Water Environment Fund if you are currently receiving Partners Programme funding from Wessex Water.
If your group has received other funding from Wessex Water since April 2020 you can apply but you may be a lower priority for support from this fund.
How do I apply for money?
You can apply for money by clicking on the button below.
You’ll need to provide an email address and then we’ll email you a link to an online form. If you don’t see an email from us after a few minutes, then please check your spam folder.
You don’t have to complete the form in one go. Instead, you can complete some sections then click ‘save draft’ at the bottom of the page. Use the link in your email to return to the form at another time.
You must then attach the following documents:
- governing document or set of rules
- the names and addresses of the people who run your group
- your group’s most recent accounts
- a recent bank statement. We need to see the bank name, your group's name, the address where statements go, the account number and the sort code
- safeguarding policy if your work needs one.
Apart from the bank statement, you do not have to send these if you have already sent them to us in the last 6 months.
Finally, you must read the terms and conditions and click ‘submit’.
Please contact us if you can't use the online form, or attach any of these documents. We'll support you to make your application in another way.
If you are a new or informal group, and cannot provide the above, you can apply under the umbrella of another charitable organisation provided it is able to:
- Supply the above documents
- Take responsibility for the application being made
- Take responsibility for receiving, overseeing and reporting back on the use of any grant awarded.
What do we do with your application?
We’ll email you within one week to confirm that we have received your application. If you don’t hear from us in that time, then please contact us.
A member of our Grants Team will look at your application. If we have a question, then we’ll email you. If preferred, we can arrange a phone call or video call.
The Grants Team will then look at your website and social media, if you have them. We’ll also check with the Charity Commission and Companies House. All this information will then be used to make a recommendation.
Recommendations are considered by our Grants Panel. The Panel is made of representatives of Wessex Water and Somerset Community Foundation alognside independent members.
If you have any questions, then please get in touch with us. It's usually best to email us on email@example.com but you can also call on 01749 344949.