This fund is currently closed to applications.
Grants up to £300 for educational enrichment activities.
The West Somerset Youth Trust offers grants to encourage young people aged 14 - 25 to enrich their education.
Grants are usually awarded for up to 25% of the total cost of a trip or activity, with a maximum grant size of £300. A larger percentage of the costs will be considered if the young person, or their parents/carers, are in receipt of means-tested benefits.
Grants can be used to pay for course or event fees, travel costs, equipment or materials. Previous grants have been awarded to attend international scouting jamborees, gap year trips, work experience placements, Duke of Edinburgh expeditions, and workshops at the National Youth Theatre.
Who can apply
Applicants should be:
- residents of West Somerset or have close ties to the area
- aged between 14 - 25
- able to provide the details of a suitable referee (e.g. a tutor)
- able to provide evidence of means-tested benefits (if applicable)
We welcome applications from students to subsidise trips organised by your college or school, but we cannot support activities that are part of the normal curriculum.
How to apply
Young people are required to apply to the fund themselves using the online grant application form below. The form asks for:
- your personal details (name, address, email, phone, educational status)
- a description of your trip
- a description of how the trip will benefit your education or life opportunities
- the date of your trip and the date when you need the funding
- how you are preparing for the trip (e.g. training, fundraising etc.)
- your budget
- how you are planning to fund the whole trip
- the contact details (name, address, email, phone) of a referee.
The form cannot be saved and returned to, so we recommend that you prepare your answers offline and paste them into the boxes.
West Somerset Youth Trust APPLICATION FORM.
Once we have received your form we will contact your referee. We may also contact you if we need any further details about your application.
What happens if you are successful
Successful applicants will be required to sign a grant declaration form that confirms that you will:
- use the grant for the purposes described in the application
- refund any unused funds to Somerset Community Foundation
- submit a written report on your return that we can use in future publicity
We will then pay the grant to you by cheque or BACS.