This grant programme is now closed.
Mary Dyer (1983-2017) was born with severe disabilities and needed others to assist her in every aspect of her life. However, Mary lived a rich and rewarding life. Her great love was music; some of her happiest times were spent listening to live music at concerts and music therapy sessions. Mary also enjoyed being outdoors, camping, walking in her adapted wheelchair and cycling in her ‘Duet’ wheelchair bike.
In honour of her life, a fund in Mary’s name has been established to support people with physical and/or learning disabilities to access the music therapy and experience outdoor adventures that gave Mary so much pleasure.
Grants of up to £1,000 to allow the applicant to participate in an activity which, without the grant, would not be available to them. Eligible activities include music therapy, one-off concerts and outdoor activities that will build self-confidence, encourage participation and inspire hope for the future.
Can I apply?
You must be:
- a resident of Devon or Somerset (but not North Somerset, Bristol or BANES)
- have a physical and/or learning disability
What can I apply for?
Here are some examples:
- Costs of attending a sporting event, a concert or an outdoor activity
- Sessions of music, art, hydro or rebound and other sensory therapies
- Horse riding
- A financial contribution towards a piece of equipment to enable you to take part in a music event or an outdoor activity, eg a seating system or a switch or a support to sit in a boat
- Extra transport costs
- Extra costs for another carer to provide support at an event
- A financial contribution towards an outdoor activity holiday
- Financial support to cover costs to attend a special family or social gathering.
We also welcome any other ideas that will make it possible to meet your specific needs to take part in an outside or musical activity.
What we can’t fund
We do not view swimming as an outdoor activity and will not consider applications for swimming costs.
We are unable to accept applications for living costs or everyday mobility/communication costs.
How to apply
You will need to complete an online application form. Submitting an online application ensures it will reach us safely. Please note you will need to complete the application in one go as it cannot be returned to.
If you are unable to complete the application form online please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address and ask for a Mary’s Beat paper application form to be posted to you.
We may ask for additional information from you to confirm the details in your application.
If you would like to find out more about your eligibility to apply, or for further advice, please contact: email@example.com at Somerset Community Foundation, or call 01749 344949. You can also explore some of the grants from the fund here.